Sunday, May 24, 2015

Experimenting!

I decided to make a Scrap Bucket Basket from the free pattern on Craftsy.  Mine didn't turn out exactly like that one at all. For one thing, I used one piece of batik fabric and I didn't have any grommets and cotton rope for the handle (I didn't bother with a handle)! I also had to do some alterations to the length of the side so it would fit the bottom piece. The Pellon 71 F, single-sided fusible ultra firm stabilizer worked perfectly! I guess I could have used a different fabric for the lining but . . .

My light weight bucket is going in the Motor Home to hold my knitting. It might not be pretty, in fact, it's quite plain, but it is functional and I like the colour. This was an experimental piece. If I do another, it will be slightly smaller. Pockets could be made for the inside and outside. Something else to consider. However, when I made this one, I was in a hurry and wanted to feel as if I had  accomplished something. Do you ever feel like that?

Another idea for travelling with this Basket / Bucket, would to attach a top piece with a drawstring closure that could fold over the top toward the outside. To do that, make the lining longer and finish the top the same as for any drawstring bag. The outside top would fold inside about a 1/4" and then top stitch to the lining. Make sense?

Guess I'll have to make another one.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend. It's sunny here but a tad chilly. 

I decided to fold down the top. Now I wish I'd put a different colour for the lining!



This is too plain but it's a good size for holding knitting projects.

The yarn does blend in with the fabric colour I used.

Close-up showing the stitching. Does this qualify for modern quilting? Just joking. . . maybe!



1 comment:

  1. This is definitely a handy basket to have - perfect for holding knitting. Even better that it's made from such pretty fabric!

    ReplyDelete